We are happy to announce that starting June 6th, Pan American and European open champion Kristina Barlaan will be our new youth program director. Professor Kim Terra will be teaching at CTA’s newest affiliate, Combat sports academy in Dublin and will be visiting as often as he can. Kristina has a wealth of knowledge and has been teaching children for over 4 years, we are excited to have her on board!
Kristina Barlaan Biography
Kristina Barlaan was born on August 20, 1986 in Martinez (Califórnia) – USA.
Kristina’s introduction to martial arts was made through muay Thai at the age of 20. The Thai boxing classes happened to be inside a Jiu-Jitsu school – Cesar Gracie‘s Gracie Fighter Academy.
After a year of training solely muay Thai, one of Barlaan’s teammates encouraged her to try a jiu jitsu class with Caio Terra, who had recently joined the Gracie Fighter academy as the grappling head coach. Under Caio’s tutelage Kristina quickly understood the potential of jiu jitsu, particularly when going up against larger opponents, then becoming a dedicated grappling student.
After being promoted to blue belt by Terra and Cesar Gracie, Kristina moved to Arizona. There she continued her jiu jitsu training with the famous Gustavo Dantas – also known as the “BJJ Mental Coach”. Barlaan competed extensively for Dantas under the Nova Uniao banner, earning her purple and brown belt from the hands of the revered coach.
8 Months after her brown belt promotion Kristina returned to California and resumed her training under Caio Terra’s guidance, who would award Barlaan her black belt on June 2015.
- European Open Champion (2016 black)
- Pan American Champion (2010 blue, 2013/2014/2015 brown)
- American National Champion (2010 weight & absolute, 2012 purple, 2014 brown)
- American National No-Gi Champion (2009 blue weight & absolute, 2010 blue, 2015 black)
- World Championship 2nd Place (2012 purple absolute)
- World No-Gi Championship 2nd Place (2014 brown)
- Pan American Championship 2nd Place (2012 purple, 2016/2017 black)
- American National Championship 2nd Place (2011 purple)
- American National No-Gi Championship 2nd Place (2011 purple)
- World Championship 3rd Place (2010 blue, 2012 purple, 2013/2014/2015 brown)
- World No-Gi Championship 3rd Place (2013 brown)
- Pan American Championship 3rd Place (2010 blue absolute, 2011 purple, 2013 brown absolute)
- American National Championship 3rd Place (2011 purple absolute, 2015 black absolute)
- American National No-Gi Championship 3rd Place (2011 purple absolute)